Poland secures EU and US funding for 100 Rosomak armored vehicles for Ukraine

3 min read

Poland has received approval from the European Union to produce 100 Rosomak wheeled armored personnel carriers for Ukraine. Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki confirmed the news on Saturday, stating that the vehicles will be manufactured in Poland, making it a great day for the Polish industry, particularly the Silesia region.

According to Morawiecki, Poland had been lobbying for months to obtain European funds for the production of military equipment, and these efforts have now been successful. He also mentioned that the payment for the military vehicles will be covered jointly by EU funds and the monies earmarked by the United States for Ukraine.

Booming military industry

The Polish Prime Minister further highlighted that this move is crucial for Poland’s military industry, which has been gaining momentum, and these additional orders will help invest in the Polish manufacturing industry. He emphasized that Poland has been obtaining funds, which have been invested in the country’s economy, thus creating more employment opportunities.

This decision by the European Union to approve the production of the Rosomak wheeled armored personnel carriers for Ukraine is seen as a significant step towards boosting Ukraine’s military capabilities. The move is aimed at countering the threat posed by Russia, which has been increasingly involved in the Ukrainian conflict.

The Rosomak is a versatile and reliable military vehicle that can be used for a variety of purposes, including reconnaissance, troop transport, and fire support. Its mobility, speed, and firepower make it an effective tool in modern warfare.

Poland has been a strong supporter of Ukraine since the start of the conflict, providing military aid being the first NATO country to provide fighter jets and training to the Ukrainian military. This move to produce 100 Rosomak wheeled armored personnel carriers is another example of Poland’s commitment to supporting Ukraine in its fight against Russian aggression.

Impact on its economy

The production of the Rosomak vehicles in Poland will also have a positive impact on the country’s economy. The Polish defense industry is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the country, with the Rosomak being a key export product. The production of 100 units will create jobs and boost the Polish economy, particularly in the Silesia region.

The Rosomak project is also significant as it is a joint venture between the Polish and Finnish defense industries. The Finnish defense company Patria owns 49% of the shares in the project, with the remaining 51% being held by the Polish company WZM.

The Rosomak project has been successful in Poland, with the Polish Armed Forces being the main operator of the vehicle. The Polish military has over 900 Rosomak vehicles in service, with plans to increase the number to over 1,000 by 2022.

The Rosomak has also been exported to other countries, including Malaysia, which purchased 48 units, and the United Arab Emirates, which purchased 30 units.

The decision by the European Union to approve the production of 100 Rosomak wheeled armored personnel carriers for Ukraine is a significant step towards strengthening Ukraine’s military capabilities. The move is also a positive development for the Polish economy, particularly the Silesia region, where the vehicles will be manufactured. The Rosomak project has been a success in Poland, and its export to other countries highlights its effectiveness and reliability as a military vehicle.

Jan Kowalski

Jan Kowalski is a UK-based Polish columnist who specializes in political and economic affairs related to Poland and the United Kingdom. He holds a degree in Political Science from the University of Warsaw and has worked as a journalist for leading Polish and British publications. Jan's expertise in Polish and British politics, as well as his ability to provide insightful commentary on current events, make him a sought-after commentator in both countries.

You may also like

More from author